I'm participating in the Big Idea Challenge to raise money for PBS Kids and bring kick ass events to RVA.
Remember Sesame Street, Mister Rogers, and Clifford? Chances are, you and I learned important skills by watching PBS Kids shows - but even more important...I will use my prodigous influence to make huge events occur all across richmond that you can bring your kids to. I will pay forward your generosity.
- PBS Kids shows teach children reading, math, science and life skills and the following events will be awesome.
- If I raise a total of $100, I will ask tens of thousands of people to run through various neighborhoods in the city, including an almost maddening, near encirclement of Northside, RVA. It will take me about 5 months to do this, and I'll participate. Your kids can yell "you are almost done, it's all downhill from here" over and over again - they will learn some new words.
- PBS Kids was named the safest destination for children to watch TV or visit online
- If I raise $200 I will bring non-traditional artists from around the world for, say two or three days...maybe on the waterfront area. It'll be folksy good times. Also the fall, as if it isn't busy enough, but I will do this for the kids...who, by the by will learn valuable skills like; how to avoid a flying bottle, what's that funny smell? and legendary Zydeco band, who cares - let's climb this tree!
- PBS Kids content helps kids, regardless of income, succeed in school
- If I raise $300 dollars I will apply as much pressure as i can on all the international bike racing teams I can find to come to Richmond and ask them to bring along hundreds of thousands of their money-spending fans. It's a big party, so i'll need time, so let's call it 2015...also in the fall. Your kids will learn to wear the helmets and the art of cowbelling.
It's time to pay it forward! I want to support those programs that helped me get ready for school - and continue to help kids acquire a love of learning and also bring events to Richmond. [Ready? Click that DONATE NOW button on the right!]
Help me and help a great cause and I will single-handedly bring a series of world-class events to Richmond, Va.
I want to raise $300 before June 4th to qualify for the Big Idea Challenge. Your donation supports PBS Kids in Central Virginia. Let's keep this educational content (and events) available for the kids in our community!
Your donation helps:
- Bring thousands of hours of educational PBS Kids shows (Sesame Street, Sid the Science Kid, and more) to TV in Central Virginia
- Gather an amazing line up of diverse musicians and artisans to decend on Richmond
- Make PBS Kids games and apps available to parents and kids for free online
- Provide the motivation for me to get a ton of people to run around Richmond...like all day - some in their barefeet.
- Provide free books and encouragement to children in under-served schools
- By drawing hundreds of thousands of bike enthusiasts to RVA to generate tons of tax revenue for RVA perhaps make it a week long.
- Provide access to free Parent Education materials
- two words - THROAT SINGERS!
- Support professional development for childcare providers
Just think - a $3 donation helps pay for a new book that can be given to a child, to inspire a love of reading - $50 will provide books for an entire classroom and $300 will bring just boatloads of bike lovers from around the world to a weeklong party.
It's easy - just click the DONATE NOW button on the right to make a donation - any amount helps!
My Personal Web Log
$200 raised - 2 events all lined up
Hey everyone - I reached $100 almost immediately last week, so I went absolutely nuts learning HTML and lining up sponsors, organizers and vendors. Here it is - Steveathon was the runner up but some greek friends thought I should go with MARATHON - sounds technical - http://www.richmondmarathon.com/race-details/marathon.htm - Anthem stepped up and this guy John who was all like...I was an Olympic Kayaker this and that..(I get it!) well he jumped right in and is managing the whole thing. Also, he totally agreed to have the running routes trap everyone in Bellevue that morning! Nothing to do now but cheer us on and drink bloody marys sucka's. Kristin called the distances - 13.1 mile and 26.2 mile routes. John added this little 8k thing. And check it out - it's already been called the "Friendliest Race in the Northern Hemisphere"
So right on the heals of the $100 we got up to $200. Some buddies and I thought up this GREAT idea - the NATIONAL FUNK FESTIVAL...three days of nothing but FUNK. I called this promoter and he didn't hear me right and now...well, I bring you the Richmond Folk Festival - http://www.richmondfolkfestival.org/ it's going to be a great Fall.
Let's raise another $45 and we'll get this bike event going for next year...how is this for a title. The UNFRIGGING BELIEVABLE INTERNATIONAL bike racers?
by Steve Cummings on Tue, Jun 03, 2014 @ 11:51 AM